Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

DateTimeDiff in months

Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

I am calculating the aged status with DateTimeDiff ().

DateTimeDiff(DateTimeTrim([Month_YR],"months"),DateTimeTrim([DateTime_Out],"months"),"months")

The difference between two dates 2018-03-31 and 2017-09-01 need to evaluate to 7 months whereas the formula results in 6 months. How do I fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Question.

What would the result be if the date was 2018-03-30, would you then class this as 6?

Ben

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Anantv

One rough workaround is to take the difference in days, divide by average days per month, and round to the nearest whole month. Here's the formula for that:

round(DateTimeDiff([Month_YR],[DateTime_Out],"days")/30.4,1)

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

IF, the above is true, then you could apply the following formula to your 2nd date...

if 
datetimetrim(datetimeadd([DateTimeOut],1,'days'),'month')=datetimetrim([DateTimeOut],'month')
then [DateTimeOut]
else datetimeadd([DateTimeOut],1,'days')
endif

and then perform your difference calculation which for 2018-03-30 would return 6 and 2018-03-31 would return 7.

However, then what happens if the first date shifts, say to 2017-09-02, would this then affect the 2nd piece, is this even possible with your data?

Ben

Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

Ben,

Month_YR filed would always be the last day of the month. 04-30-2017, 03-31-2018, 02-28-2017, etc. This data becomes available at the beginning of the next month. For example, 04-30-2018 file contains a snap shot of all the work orders at the end of April.

Datetime_Out represents the last time the work order was charged. 

I will try your solution to convert it to days. 

Thank you

Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

Ben, Charlie,

Thank you for your solutions. I was able to get the desired result by adding +1 at the end of the formula.

DateTimeDiff(DateTimeTrim([Month_YR],"months"),DateTimeTrim([DateTime_Out],"months"),"months")+1

I appreciate your time in responding to my query.

Labels