Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date tool - Interface Design

XWSOL
5 - Atom

Is there a way I can remove the default date function? In this scenario, I have an Analytic App with multiple text box drop downs and multiple date tools. There are instances where only 1 of the date fields will be filled out, leaving the others blank. The date tool continues to use today's date as the default date for the drop downs instead of remaining blank - Is this changeable, or do I need to explore other options? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @XWSOL It's hard to tell exactly how you have set things up, so perhaps a screenshot of your interface tools will be useful, specifically you make it sound like your date interface tool is somehow populating your dropdowns? I'm struggling to understand how this is the case unless you are doing a chained application?

Anyway, I would perhaps consider using the date tool alongside a radio button as to whether the user has configured it. You can then use this radio button to pass through a value to the workflow (as they may genuinely select todays date I guess), if selected, and if it isn't you must assume the user doesn't want to choose it...

Your action with then use the 'Update Value with Formula' option, with both the radio button (input #1) and date tool (input #2) connected. And you could apply the statement...

IF [#1] THEN [#2] ELSE NULL() ENDIF

Again, this advice is given with not a true understanding of the problem, so any additional info you can provide would be helpful!

XWSOL
5 - Atom

@BenMoss Here are a couple of screenshots of what I am currently doing - thank you for your response. I will try out that radio tool you mentioned before, but wanted to show you what I've got right now for your understanding. The Date drop downs are where the user selects a specific date (which are currently defaulting to today's date if left blank), and the action tool is updating a specific cell in the text file input tool. Please let me know if you need more information - thank you!

XWSOL_1-1617968174970.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Okay this makes sense, in which case the radio button route is probably the way I would go. Alternatively, if your users should never choose todays date, then that wouldn't be required, you could again using the update with formula mode but this time choosing...

IF [#1] = DATETIMETODAY() then NULL() ELSE [#1] ENDIF

Ben

Labels