Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date parsing

elfunambolo
8 - Asteroid

I have an error in parsing date. In excel file the cells in the column Actual Start date are formatted as date but when I import the data in Alteryx are considered string. I tried to use Date parsing formula to convert it but I have errors.

Can you support me?

Thanks

Giovanni

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @elfunambolo your formula is nearly correct you are missing the slashes as you need to match your format of the data for that formula to work. The dates are being recognised as string as Alteryx date formats need to be in ISO format e.g. YYYY-MM-DD. You can find out more from this documentation.

Dates_29082021.JPG

elfunambolo
8 - Asteroid

Ok, now no errors happened but the column is still V_string type not Date, why?

elfunambolo_1-1630235704356.png

Regards,

Giovanni

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @elfunambolo in a formula tool you can't change an existing datatype hence in my previous post in the screenshot the dropdown is greyed out. There a few ways you can tackle this. You use create a new column with a date data type or use Multi-field tool which is the only formula tool in alteryx that can change an existing field data type. Or you could be a select tool and changed the data type to a date like I've done in this screenshot.

Dates_29082021_V1.JPG

binay2448
11 - Bolide

You can also use DataTime tool to do the same, find attached.

Labels