Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date conversion from excel

aysha6029
8 - Asteroid

Hi Fiends,

I extract an excel sheet from an application on the below format. i need to convert the Date02 field to understandable format(ISO or USA Date format) from excel using alteryx. i request your help to help me solve this issue

S.NoNameDate01Date02
1Holly2009-09-3040757
2Peter2009-08-2540940
3Sanson2009-07-1741306
11 REPLIES 11
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Excel dates are days after 1900-01-01.  Given that, I would use a formula for a new DATE field like:

DateTimeAdd("1900-01-01",[Date02],"days")

This should work for your conversion as I understand dates.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
aysha6029
8 - Asteroid

i tried the below formula. i get an error message saying " Argument 2 of DATETIMEADD is not an integer. Please help me

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@aysha6029,

The data type for your field, Date02, is a string (i'm guessing).  You can use a select and change the type from "string or vstring" to Int32.  The formula will then see it as an integer and all will be well.  But if the field value contains null values and or non-numeric data, you might have problems.

You could also modify the code to:

DateTimeAdd("1900-01-01",tonumber([Date02]),"days")

Try this and see if it works for you.  

aysha6029
8 - Asteroid

Yes, it contains nulls as well.. how to handle this sir.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

did you try the updated formula?

aysha6029
8 - Asteroid

yes.. i tried the updated formula. the null value columns are filled with "1900-01-01" dates and the rest of the converted columns are converted to the date format but it is also adding two extra days to the existing record when i compared with my original excel file 

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @aysha6029

I have attached a workflow which looks at all excels serials. The one you want to use in the far right hand side flow. 

Let me know if this works. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant. 

aysha6029
8 - Asteroid

Hi JordanB,

Thank You. i got one issue solved. ie the excel values like 42097 is getting converted to proper date. I have one more issue here.. there are some null values in the record. when i try to use this formula to all the rows in that field, the null column is getting populated with 1900-01-01. Please help me to solve this issue.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

What resolution would you like?

If the nulls get converted to 1900-01-01 and you would like them back as NULLS, then you can use:

IIF([Date02]=='1900-01-01',Null(),[Date02])

Does that work for you?

Labels