Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date-Time to Number

jnewland1234
6 - Meteoroid

I need to convert 1/3/1900 12:00:00 AM to 72.00 through alteryx. See attached file for examples in excel. 

8 REPLIES 8
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @jnewland1234

Hope the attached is what you needed!

Kind regards

Katrin

jnewland1234
6 - Meteoroid

This worked, but I might be back with another question. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Kudos to you @kat for deciphering the algorithm behind that.  How did you figure that one out?

Dan

kat
12 - Quasar

Thanks @danilang :) a little bit of playing around with the dates in Excel did the trick

@jnewland1234 - could you perhaps just mark the solution as accepted so that others know that it is resolved :)

jnewland1234
6 - Meteoroid

I accepted, but I am still having trouble with my database. Mainly because my data is coming in, through my macro, as a string so when I go to convert to date/time it ignores anything under 24 hours. 

kat
12 - Quasar

@jnewland1234 - could you then perhaps first convert it to datetime format with the datetime tool before doing the conversion steps?

jnewland1234
6 - Meteoroid

I tried. The problem is that the data that is coming in is in String so when I try to convert to Date/Time using select the under 24 hours time defaults to Null. I think I have almost figured out how to convert but it's somewhat complicated and I have my fingers crossed. Do you have a formula that would convert string to date/time format? 

kat
12 - Quasar

@jnewland1234 - try the date time tool under the parse section of tools. This allows you to convert string to date/time without loosing anything

Labels