Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Time Conversion

rajputakansha
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to convert incoming string field DD.MM.YYYY into MM/DD/YYYY. But Date Time conversion tool is giving me null column.

Can you help?

rajputakansha_0-1580352374748.png

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rajputakansha ,

For that, the custom expression needs to be dd.MM.yyyy

Also, if you want to use the format MM/DD/YYYY, keep in mind that it is not possible to keep this format as a date type column, as the only accepted date format in Alteryx is yyyy-mm-dd

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @rajputakansha ,

why not use a Formula tool? If you convert the incoming string to a date format (function DATETIMEPARSE will do that) you can format it to any format you need using DATETIMEFORMAT (resulting in a string). So tailored to your probem, a formula like 

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Date], '%d.%m.%Y'), '%m/%d/%Y')

would do the job. A sample workflow is attached. Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Roland

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

@rajputakansha ,

I've needed to do this before. Even though Alteryx doesn't read this type of date format, I needed it for my output. This is what I did.

1. Change what you wrote to dd.mm.yyyy

2. Use the same tool again separately, but instead of the default string to Date/Time format, choose 'Date/Time to string.' Than yo ucan specify the output you'd like your date string to look like (ie. mm/dd/yyyy).

Please let me know if this helps you by accepting as solution. If not - good luck with you endeavors.

Thanks,

Jacob

Labels