Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Issue using Excel file

Karlo
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am having trouble with Alteryx as my data contains date type values (i.e. 02-Apr-17) for some reason Alteryx changes this to 2017-04-02 (I take it this is the default way in which Alteryx shows it). However the output I want is the initial one I started with (dd-mmm-yy) but I don't get that. Also what if the data type is not a date can I not get the initial output i started with?

Furthermore, if some a column has 'custom' type data (looks like a date -i.e. 02-Apr-17) and within that same column there are N/A's would this be considered within Alteryx as null?

Thanks and hope my question can be answered :)

14 REPLIES 14
mcarrico
9 - Comet

There are two methods that you could explore here.

1. Duplicate the workflow and join back on RecordID.  This is kind of a clunky way to attack it, though.  You could put this into a macro and iterate over each of the fields if you want to do it a little cleaner.
    Capture.PNG
  2. The better way to do it is to use a Multi-Field formula.  This tucks all of the functionality into a single tool, but you have to explicitly do some of the data transformations discussed above, which can get slightly confusing if you aren't familiar with DateTime parsing and multi-field formula syntax.
    Capture.PNG

Both methods are attached in the workflow.

Karlo
8 - Asteroid

You are churning out solutions, my friend. Really appreciate your input on this! When you explain it, I really do get what you are trying to do and its impressive!!

I am trying the 2nd method that you recommended and I think this would be a neat way to do it! However, I am getting errors (see attached) :(

I could send you the workflow but would need to get pre-authorisation as its live data from company and do not want to get into trouble. Can maybe send over a sample..

Karlo
8 - Asteroid

You are churning out solutions, my friend. Really appreciate your input on this! When you explain it, I really do get what you are trying to do and its impressive!!

I am trying the 2nd method that you recommended and I think this would be a neat way to do it! However, I am getting errors (see attached) :(

I could send you the workflow but would need to get pre-authorisation as its live data from company and do not want to get into trouble. Can maybe send over a sample..

mcarrico
9 - Comet

I know this sounds strange, but try shortening and simplifying your field names.  Sometimes Alteryx can get finnicky with really long field names with special characters included.  Also, try removing certain fields when you pass it through the Multi-Field Formula tool to isolate if it is a particular field giving you trouble or an issue with the data/formula itself.

Karlo
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Mcarrico you are a genius! I used the multi-field formula tool. However I did not need the DateTimeParse() functionality. After taking that out it now works and is giving out the output that I was looking for.

Thank you!

Labels