Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Field converts to V_WString in Alteryx

Suruchi23
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I have a macro that reads data from SQL server and then I use the data from this macro in another workflow. After certain data manipulations, I publish it to Tableau Server.

The issue I am getting is that there is a 'date' field in one of the sql tables that is a part of Macro Output. When the other workflow reads the data from Macro Output, it assigns 'V_WString' type to this field and therefore, the tableau dashboards throw error. It used to work fine on my team member's machine strangely.

Any advise on how this can be resolved? I tried using 'DateTime' function but when I use it, this function does not recognize the field as string type so does not appear and hence, I cannot convert it to 'Date' type in the workflow.

Thanks,

Suruchi

6 REPLIES 6
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi @Suruchi23 ,

Do you have access to edit the macro? If so, you can maybe try adding a Select tool just before the Macro Output tool to force the field to be a date field.

Josh

Suruchi23
5 - Atom

Hi

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Right, I see.

What about using a Multi-Field Formula tool after the Macro Output?

Try configuring the tool like the screenshot below. Select the specific date field. Deselect Copy Output Fields Add. Then, select Change Output Type to and change the type to a Date. This will ensure that the field is Date type regardless of whether it comes through as a date or a string.

Finally, under Expression, have [_CurrentField_].

clipboard_image_0.png

Let me know if this works!

Suruchi23
5 - Atom

Hi  

I have made the change as suggested and the workflow is currently running. I will confirm once its done.

Many Thanks,

Suruchi

Suruchi23
5 - Atom

Hi

Thanks a lot for this advise, it has worked!

Regards,

Suruchi

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi @Suruchi23,

Fantastic! Glad to hear.

The Multi-Field Formula tool has that little trick where you can change the data type of an existing field unlike the Formula tool. Can come in handy!

Josh

Labels