Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Error Resulting to Null Values

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I've attached the actual date sample that I've been working on. Basically, the dates are in yyyymmdd format (i.e. 20200414). I need them in 2020-04-14 date format. Alteryx initially reads them as V_String. I found a similar case here and thought this will solve my problem - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/yyyymmdd-to-dd-month-yyyy-conversion/t...

but using the actual formula in the link gives me 2020-01-01 or 2020-12-12 or 2020-03-03 not the actual days. So I edited the substring syntax with the following --

DateTimeFormat(LEFT(tostring([Date 1]),4)+'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring(Date 1]),5,2)+

'-'+SUBSTRING(tostring([Date 1]),7,2),'%Y-%m-%d') but this gives me a null value due to a conversion error (also in the attached - date error).

I tried all other things that  I could find online but all of them gave me null values.

Help please.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @crazybeauti_ful ,

I suggest you to use the datetime tool to do that conversion automatically.

fmvizcaino_0-1586804730343.png

Let me know what you think about it.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

hi @fmvizcaino ,

thank you so much. 

I find it weird though. I tried this same tool but it gave me null values too.

but thanks again. appreciate your help.

Labels