community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More

Date Conversions - remove hh:mm:ss

Atom

Hi everyone, 

I have an issue that I can't figure out by myself:

I have a date that looks like this: 2017/05/20 18:21:48 , string type. I need to convert it into a date and make it look like this. 05/20/2017

I tried to separate the initial text using Text to Columns and Left Formula and then I used Date/Time Function to convert the resulted string into a date type. 

Every time I get the same result: After separation I get the string 2017/05/20 but then, when I apply the Date/Time Function, I get this result: 20-03-2017 00:05:00

I would really appreciate your help, 

Thanks so much. 

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Dates in Alteryx always look like YYYY-MM-DD.  If you want it to look like MM/DD/YYYY, you'll have to leave it as a string. 

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Pretty much as the above poster says, i've used a slightly different method to get your desired output, but again it can only be a string given your desired format which I would recommend not doing!

Ben

Quasar
Quasar

And here is a way to do it with a single formula:

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Date],"%Y/%m/%d"),"%m/%d/%Y")

Could you please share the method you use in here, as I'm unable to download your WF

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@dana_buz wrote:

Every time I get the same result: After separation I get the string 2017/05/20 but then, when I apply the Date/Time Function, I get this result: 20-03-2017 00:05:00

Hi @dana_buz just reading the above it looks like you are specifying the field type to be a date/time within Alteryx. If this is the case it will always remain in the Alteryx date format of CCYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

If you need the date to be formatted in a different way that's fine, you will just need to have the field type as a string. Do note that this will then mean they aren't able to be treated as dates in formulas and filters etc if you do something like [MyDate] > "2017-10-09".

The above post with the expression can be used in a formula to parse you field and then format it to the desired output.

Thanks

Joe

Edit: oops just seen the original post is a little old. So that may no longer be relevant

Labels