Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Conversion

johnrexrima_19
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Can anyone help me in converting to (MM/dd/yyyy) date format? In my input CSV file the date fields are in custom date format (See screenshot) however it is being fed in Alteryx in number format in the results preview (See screenshot) but categorized as V_Wstring by the Select tool. I cannot easily change the data type to Date using the Select tool as I keep getting errors that some of it are not a valid date. I also tried using the Formula, Multi-Field Formula and DateTime tool but got the same error that some fields are not a valid date. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @johnrexrima_19 ,

the date seems to be stored in the Excel internal format (days since 2019/01/01), so you could try converting it using a formula:

DateTimeAdd("1900-01-01", [DateField], "days").

Best regards

Roland

johnrexrima_19
8 - Asteroid

Hi @RolandSchubert

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried your formula but I got an error saying that "Argument 2 of DATETIMEADD is not a number".

Best,

Rex

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @johnrexrima_19 
If you change your date fields to an in32 using a select tool, then @RolandSchubert's formula will work. Alternatively you could convert them to numbers in the formula like so:

Datetimeadd("1900-01-01",Tonumber([Date]),"days")

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think, a conversion to a number would solve this:
DateTimeAdd("1900-01-01", ToNumber([DateField]), "days")

johnrexrima_19
8 - Asteroid

You guys are awesome! Thank you both for your help! 

Labels