Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Conversion/ Date Formatting

Swadekar
5 - Atom

Hello Guys, 

I have been struggling to convert a date column which is in 'yy.dd.mm' format to any of the standard date formats(mm/dd/yy , mm.dd.yyyy etc), I have tried a few suggested solutions on other discussion threads, viz. DateTime tool and DateTimeFormat function in the formula tool. 

Issues:

1. In the DateTime tool when I try to convert '16.14.12'  using the custom format the newOutputColumn displays 2016-01-12  00:14:00.  and

2. using DateTimeFormat function returns a null value in the newOutputColumn 

I just want to convert to convert the 'yy.dd.mm' format date into a regular mm/dd/yyyy or mm/dd/yy or dd-mmm-yyyy format so that Tableau can recognize the date and year. 

Regards,

Soham

5 REPLIES 5
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

This should point you in the right direction.

Swadekar
5 - Atom

Perfect, exactly what I wanted!

Just changed left([Date],4) to left([Date],2) as my year is just 'yy' and it worked. 

Thanks a lot! 

Soham

htalteryx
8 - Asteroid

how do I convert 31-Dec-2018 to 12/31/2018 using the formula tool?

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

This requires converting your text string to a date and then the date to a new text string.

The DateTime tool handles this easily.

Kirti1
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Tried using datetime tool instead of formula tool to get required results. Please find attached workflow

Labels