Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Database that references a Key (Vlookup)

joeltrudel
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all, learning Tableau as we speak and have run into a snag in one of my training exercises.

Step 1. I have a Data "Key" where Project and Project Group contain the "Same" data, but the Project Group column has some spelling/formatting corrections that fix issues in the Project column. (i.e. Project Column= COGS, Project Group= C.O.G.S. without the .'s)

Step 2. I have a large database file with nearly 7k lines of data that includes the Project Column.

- - What I'd like to do is Join the two inputs, and have the Database file do a Vlookup (Alteryx equivalent to excel) on the "Project" column in my database file to make sure it has all instances of the project included (from Key); and then create an output Project Column on my database file for every single instance.

Please let me know if this is possible! Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hey @joeltrudel,

I'd check out the find and replace tool for this scenario. Here's the documentation: https://help.alteryx.com/2018.2/FindReplace.htm

I'd post an example, but you can actually look at examples in your Alteryx Designer by right clicking the tool and clicking 'Open Example'. Most of the basic tools have that-- it's a pretty great resource.

Best,

mmenth

Labels