Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Database connection with semi-colon in password

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to escape a semi-colon in the connection string on an Input tool?

We have a system generated password that the database admins setup, but it always has a semi-colon in it.

When I try a DSN-less connection string, the semicolon acts as a separator, so it doesn't encrypt the full password.

odbc:DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver};UID=myuserid;SERVER=myserverURL;PWD=__encryptedpassword__;restofpassword

I tried wrapping the password in single quotes and double quotes, but it does not encrypt the full password either.

When I try an ODBC DSN connection, I get a prompt saying "format of the initialization string does not conform to specification".

5 REPLIES 5
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @mcha54 

I think that one of our ACEs may be able to assist you.

@BenMoss @Joe_Lipski could either of you weigh in and assist?

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Not sure I can offer anything here, the web says single quotes should do it

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23014180/sql-server-2008-password-ending-in-a-semicolon

Ben

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @TrevorS & @mcha54,

Similarly to @BenMoss, I don't have experience with this so don't think I can advise other than googling or reaching out to support.

Thanks, 

Joe

Joe Lipski
mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, thanks for the replies - I had reached out to support and it is a defect (feature) with no resolution.

They suggested to upvote this Idea:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Stop-passwords-from-escaping-characters-into...

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thanks for providing the answer from support @mcha54, always really useful on posts!

I'd already cast my vote on that, so hopefully it gets picked up by product team soon.

Joe Lipski
Labels