Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data type - Fixed Decimals

Visakh
6 - Meteoroid

I do not quite get the working logic of the data type - fixed decimals. My understanding about this data type from what I learnt in Alteryx help document is that, for example - if the given number is 1234.567 with a length of 7.2, it means there can be up to a maximum 7 digits written to the left of the decimal & 2 digits at the right of the decimal.

Going by this understanding, for the given number 1234.567, if I select 7.3 as the length, Alteryx throws a conversion error, whereas when I select the length as 8.3, Alteryx gives the result as 1234.567.

What is happening here? Why does the 7.3 precision, with less that 7 digits to the left of the decimal & 3 digits already available to the right of the decimal, does not give me the result as 1234.567? How the length of 8.3 gives this result?

A clear explanation on this would help my understanding.

2 REPLIES 2
CathyS_Slalom
9 - Comet

Hi @Visakh, because "The length (precision) of a fixed decimal is equal to the width of the integer (left side of decimal) plus the decimal point plus the width of the scale (right side of decimal)", a value of 1234.567 with a length of 7.3 results in a field conversion error and Null output, as the value does not fit within the 7.3 precision.

In the other word, you would need to include the length of the decimal point too, so 8.3 would give the result of 1234.567.

Visakh
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Cathy... i got it now.. appreciate your support.

Labels