Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data transformation

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

I have attached a sample of data I am dealing with. I have data that is similar to column A and I need to separate it like it is in Columns B,C,D. I have been using text to columns, however, the issue happens around line 6 and 7. The data goes to P and B columns instead of B and C columns. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jakaur32 ,

Attachment fail :(  would you like to try again please?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The attachment worked for me so here's one way you could go about this:

I come into this assuming that if a field doesn't have all 3 "PBS" components, that the leading objects are skipped. In the attached example, I show how you can determine how many PBS components are in each record and use that information to apply a shift to any records less than the max amount. A Dynamic Rename is also used to achieve the desired final output format. 

GeneRinas
Alteryx
Alteryx

There is probably a better way, but you could get creative with a formula and pad the extra delimiters to the left before the text to columns.  See attached.

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much, this worked out great. and i apologize for not posting this sooner.

Labels