Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Data processing issue after join

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I have 2 files, one which has data and other that has transactions. Data file has one name and one date while transaction file has one name with multiple dates. I'm trying to create a new output where I join data file and transaction file based on Name and date column, where I output record only with matching DATE from both the sheets. Error I'm seeing - Join doesn't happen(no values outputted). Everything from right join is showing up as nulls for most records. Can someone guide me if I'm missing something?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @vissamsettyvivek ,

Could you please provide some sample data?

thanks!

7 - Meteor

Hi @vissamsettyvivek 

Sample data would help, but just from thinking through a potential issue - you may have to format dates using the datetime tool prior to joining the datasets.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I'm attaching sample file here. sheet names are basically the two sheets I'm trying to upload. I'm trying to join both sheets based on the yellow highlighted column headers. Orange highlighted ones are the matching transactions. I'm just trying to create a new sheet which is just filtered securities from data file containing only the orange highlighted transaction, as they match to the transaction file. 

I tried to join based on client security id as 1st field and date as 2nd field and nothing is showing up in the joint output. I tried removing date filter to check if this is DATE issue but still there's no output. 

This is just a sample sheet with sample data. Actual sheets are much different in terms of format and the there are thousands of lines of data in both of them.

Thanks for all the help.

Highlighted
9 - Comet

A couple of ideas that might help.

Could there be an issue with the Client Security ID in one of the inputs, such as whitespace? You could add a Cleanse tool to each side incase there's any cleanup needed.

Also I noticed you changed the CSID from V_String to V_WString in the join tool. Was there a reason for that? I had a workflow recently where a join didn't work because of a different data format; changing the format in the join didn't fix it but a Select tool before the join did.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @vissamsettyvivek ,

is this what you are looking for? or on the right track? let me know.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @tonyp. I changed data types for both sheets to see if either of the data type works, I think it didn't get saved when I uploaded it here. Tried data cleansing and still doesn't work.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi @bpatel, the center join output is what I'm looking for. The sheet and data I uploaded here is a dummy one that I created, actual sheets and data are much more complicated and something's causing issue in there. 

Labels