Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data on a column into comma separated values

JArtNaranjo
7 - Meteor

All right this may be one of those things that could be totally easy to do, so my apologies in advance community I know you guys are busy for my rookie questions.

I have a numeric ID, I need to convert it into a single field comma delimited so I can feed a dynamic input. The trick is that the amount of records could vary from time to time, so I am looking for a 'dynamic' solution. 

I originally thought 'Cross Tab' to transform the data into rows and then use 'Multy-Field-Formula' to create the string needed, but that didn't work... Then I used a 'multi-row' formula to avoid the transformation altogether and it seems to be working but that would work only if I new how many where there, how would I make that logic dynamic to adapt to N number of records?

My logic: (which in this case works because I know I only have 3 values)

ToString([SEQ])+','+ToString([Row+1:SEQ])+','+ToString([Row+2:SEQ])

2018-05-16_13-11-28.png

Thanks in advance for your help,

3 REPLIES 3
Inactive User
Not applicable

This was surprisingly quite tough! I used an iterative macro approach to do the sequence value listing. Macro and Workflow included in attachment.

JArtNaranjo
7 - Meteor

Wow. That was impressive. Thank you so much for your time, effort and will to help.

This is much appreciated.I had't try iterative macros before either, now I have a great example to refer to. Again, much appreciate it!

AlexBell
5 - Atom

I've just found that this can be done using the summarize tool.  If you select your field and change the group by to concatenate.  You can set your separaters and even state what you want in the start and end.  This for instance allows you to make a comma separated list that you can put in an 'in' clause.

Labels