Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data not joining correctly in my workflow.

LWHITTAKER001
6 - Meteoroid

I have a workflow I am working on where I am trying to use a Join tool to join the data based on a Return ID, but it doesn't seem to be working for some reason and I am stumped. I have successfully done a similar workflow with similar data, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong in this instance. I have included the two data sets and the piece of the workflow below.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The problem is that Dataset 1 starts with 2017i  whereas Dataset 2 starts with 2017I.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @LWHITTAKER001 

It's a fussy one. Case doesn't match in both fields. Drop a Data Cleansing tool after the data source 1, and change the Return ID to be Uppercase.

Cheers!

Esther

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Adding an Uppercase formula sorts it out.

uppercase.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I wonder which is faster, the formula tool or the Data Cleansing?

Both do the same thing. Go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

image.png

LWHITTAKER001
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks y'all! I went with the Data Cleansing tool as you suggested. I didn't realize how finicky it was with case since I'm a bit of a novice. Appreciate your help!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Any time!!! Ask a question here, and you'll get lots of approaches to a solution.

If you wouldn't mind, marking our solutions as accepted is helpful for us, and for people seeking answers/seeking to help answer. Thanks!!!

Cheers,

Esther

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@estherb47, I've always overlooked that box in the Data Cleanse tool! 

I won't forget about it again!

Labels