Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data format Issue - (Excel to Alteryx)

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Alteryx is pulling records from excel in a strange way.Wanted to know if anyone has faced this issue before.

The goal is to pull the column as it is, as the column has string and numbers.

The second and third rows are the issue here.I can resolve this by selecting an integer data type, but I have characters too in the source.

Source (excel file) column A                             Output - (Alteryx)

1.14                                                                             1.14

1.13                                                                             1.1299999999999999

0.28                                                                              0.28000000000000003

0.28 abc +0.29 def                                                       0.28 abc +0.29 def

Let me know if anyone has seen this issue before and has ways to tackle this.

Thanks,

Rahul 

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@rahulshetty925 
I think it is because the data in your Excel file has some formatting, like 0.28000000000000003 is actually format as second decimal place, then appears as 0.28.

Can we modify the original data in Excel? or it is untouchable?😁

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Hi Rahul

I think this is happening when you have mixed data in your spreadsheet, excel is converting data internally in some other format.  If you only have numbers, you won't face this problem ( at least in my machine, I am not facing that issue when only numbers are present).  But for your data, I used an excel function to convert it to text and that seems to be working. Can you please try the same and share the result? Once you apply the formula, values would be left-justified

arundhuti726_0-1607993366402.png

This is output after loading these two columns to Alteryx

arundhuti726_1-1607993429073.png

Thanks and Regards

Arundhuti

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Tyro_abc 

Issue is resolved now.There were source file issues as you mentioned here.

Thanks,

Rahul S

Labels