Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data for XmR / SPC / control charts

charlie_taylor
5 - Atom
XmR / SPC / control charts are a popular format to track data and detect abnormal variations - spikes and trends. Most online examples refer either to dedicated software or Excel templates (e.g. http://www.spcforexcel.com/knowledge/control-chart-basics/purpose-control-charts).

This is something Tableau should be able to do - and it's possible but it's very manual and not flexible enough (http://www.tableau.com/public/blog/2013/11/control-charts-2236).

I'm looking for examples of automated data preparation for production of XmR charts so that it can be done quickly for a large number of KPIs. Is this something Alteryx could do / has done?

20 REPLIES 20
napplewh
8 - Asteroid
Unfortunately I can't post it as it contains confidential data

Nigel Applewhite

NHS England and NHS Improvement

This email is intended only for use by the named addressee. It may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact us immediately and should not disclose, use or rely on this email. We do not accept any liability arising from a third party taking action, or refraining from taking action, on the basis of information contained in this email. Thank you.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

This is an old thread, but I needed to create some XmR control charts recently, and thought I'd leave this here in case someone needs it in the future. The attached workflow creates X (individual) and mR (moving range) control charts.

Note, this is only flagging points outside of the control limits (it's not checking any other WECO or Nelson rules).

XmR charts image.PNG

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

An alternative option would be to use the R tool with one of the SPC packages (such as qcc or rspc) to apply the rules, and either chart in R or output the flagged data from the R tool to be charted in Alteryx.

brendafos
10 - Fireball

Thank you.  This is very helpful.

napplewh
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone have an alteryx workflow for SPC? 

napplewh
8 - Asteroid

Can anyone QA my SPC Alteryx workflow? 

markstephens
7 - Meteor

coo, cant believe how short that workflow is and does all that!

attached is my attempt at a run chart rules and is MASSIVE in comparison

this applies a test to a run chart, testing for shifts, trends and the correct amount of runs given the amount of data points. I've tried to code the tests from the article here.  cant code one of them, the "astonomical data point" as Alteryx seems to lack an Eyeball tool.

The workflow outputs a text summary of the checks performed.  The last 5 yards arent complete in terms of what youd want output, but the tests seem to be accurate.

I want to add a thing to "fix" the median if it is ran and passes all 3 tests, so the median isnt re-calculated every time a new datapoint is added, causing potential "drift" 

Any errors spotted will be gratefully received.

napplewh
8 - Asteroid

i am looking for users that have an SPC macro that can be used for any input files and that automatically output XMR charts. 

chriswilliams41
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hi Kelly, 

I love this workflow and the control charts that were developed from it. What was the use case that your workflow answered?

Thanks so much!

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

@chriswilliams41 - I don't remember the application for XmR charts specifically, but the general use case for control charts was monitoring data volume and data quality. My role is in data curation, so I was using a suite of control charts to monitor the size and content of my data loads (with emailed alerts if parts of the process went out of control). We've since adopted an enterprise data quality tool, so I've been able to retire my homegrown monitoring system!

(off topic: I greatly enjoyed your presentation on the AMP engine at the recent Portland user group!)

Labels