Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data extraction issue

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone-

I need some assistance in understanding what i am doing wrong in the attached workflow?

Situation : i have a set of data which has employee hours by day , please see attached excel file for reference (for this illustration i just pulled yesterday's and today's data) . i am trying to schedule a job which will run every morning and will show a summary of hours worked from previous day .

I used a filter tool and in the expression box i did DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,"days") , for some reason this logic is not working in my case and i don't see yesterday's data at the "True" node.

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@MD2050,

in this sample workflow it does not look like you are giving the filter a boolean condition. For a filter to work you need a condition that can be marked true or false.

Instead of the If statement you have written try:

[Date] = DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,"days")

Best,

MSalvage

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Try these two changes:

- Change your expression to DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,'days')=[Date]

- Just prior to your filter, add a Select tool and change your Date field to a DateTime type.  Right now it looks like your comparing a Date and a DateTime and the two don't always play nicely.

Hope it helps!

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much danrh - 

It worked perfectly.

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you MSalvage for the prompt response.

Just a curiosity , I am new to Alteryx and i am loving it . Is there documentation which explains the fundamentals of the tool ? 

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

Yeah there is a ton of documentation on all the tools. Just a few ways I would recommend. If you left click on a tool in the tool bar, it will give you a brief description and some tools have examples you can open.

filter tool desc.PNG

Also, with any tool if you are clicked on it on the canvas, you can click the ? and it will link you to a full, much more in depth, description of the tool.

help icon.PNG

And of course there is the Alteryx academy where you can watch videos/take courses on specific tools/sets of tools.

It is a great tool and it has plenty of support behind it. Have fun!

Best,

MSalvage

Labels