Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Validation

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I want to check it the data in a excel is populated or not and if it is populated then it is in correct format or not and based on the result generate a error report.

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@vijaylnyadav 
Basically if there is warning during the execution of workflow, there should no major concerns.

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

Please suggest some tools with the help of which i can check weather a specific cell in a excel consist of data and if data is not present then how should i generate an error message.

for eg. input data consist of employee id and employee name, so i want to check each and every field i.e data exists in a particular field and based on the validation i want to generate an error message.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @vijaylnyadav ,

There is a tool called a "Test" tool that maybe can help to check if a field contains data. If it doesn't it will create an error message.

In the following example, I have nulled and emptied the Order ID and Customer ID fields. If you don't have any data in your excel file, that data should either contain null values or be totally blank.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 085934.jpg

Then I have added a test tool in my workflow, demanding that those two fields (Order ID and Customer ID) should not contain Null and Blank values respectively. Because they do, the workflow throws an error when it runs, with the following message appearing in the results pane

Screenshot 2020-11-23 090231.jpg

Hope that helps. About the format, I am not sure what kind of checks you want to do. If you can provide an example, that would be really helpful.

Regards,

Angelos

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

You could something like

All data is ok and no blanks, so no error

atcodedog05_0-1606122078544.png

Some data is blank, generate error message

atcodedog05_1-1606122182573.png

Error message

atcodedog05_2-1606122200466.png

So basically i am checking is any of the columns values are blank

atcodedog05_3-1606122280873.png

If its blank then show an error message. Here is a resource on message tool configuration.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Message/ta-p/36308

You can also refer to the attached workflow

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

I hadnt worked with Test Tool before.

Just took a look into @AngelosPachis's workflow on how its working. It seems like Test Tool is the upgraded version of Message Tool. Message Tool can handle only single validation and throw only single error message where as Test Tool can handle multiple validation and throw error messages accordingly.

This is Amazing 😎

Thank you for this knowledge share and great learning @AngelosPachis 🙂 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @vijaylnyadav 

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Feel free to reach out if you face any issues 🙂

Labels