Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Validation for user inputs

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Good Day All,

I'm looking for a tool for Validation of column and show appropriate message to user for the validation. For example 

1. Col A to Col L should be blank if not throw a message to user saying the same its not blank.

2. Col M should not be future date and always be current date if not throw a message to user saying the same

And workflow should not proceed until the conditions are satisfied

Thanks in advance!!

12 REPLIES 12
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

hemant86
11 - Bolide

My input data is something like this:

Should be blankShould be blankShould be blankShould not be future date 
Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6
Data1  10/31/2021  
   11/1/2021  

I do not need any out put here. Its just the tool should check for Column1 , Column2 & Column3  for blank and if not blank it should give the user a popup message saying particular column should be blank or a range of column should be blank,

Ex. IF  Column1 !="" OR Column2 !="" OR Column3 !="" Then "Column1 should be blank" (i guess we would need to use a variable to pick the column name here)

IF  Column4 > Today() Then "Column4 cannot be future date"

And there is no output file produced here. I just need to validate these columns and give a popup message to the user. The output file is produced only if validation is successful. So the workflow should not proceed until validation is successful.

Not sure if I'm asking a valid question. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

You can use message tool like below to validate, throw errors and stop processing.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1635421651524.png

Hope this helps : )

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @atcodedog05 . This does the job for me. But just had 1 query. Do I need to add multiple Message tools for multiple conditions. or can I use the same tool for different conditions

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

You can use single for multiple condition checks but you won't be able to give custom message for each.

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @hemant86 

If my response helps please don't forget to mark it as solution.

Cheers and have a nice day!

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi @atcodedog05 

Just a follow up question. I want to add below condition to my message tool.

IF [Payment re-processing]="Yes" AND IsNull([Alteryx Unique ID]) THEN "Need a valid Alteryx Unique ID" ELSE "" ENDIF . Any idea around that?

Payment re-processingAlteryx Unique ID
Yes 

Below is my tool setting but it gives Parse error. 

hemant86_0-1635495104220.png

Thanks in Advance.

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Never mind @atcodedog05 . I got it Below is the tool setting. Thanks again🙂

hemant86_0-1635495544477.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it 🙂.

Labels