Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Validation for user inputs

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Good Day All,

I'm looking for a tool for Validation of column and show appropriate message to user for the validation. For example 

1. Col A to Col L should be blank if not throw a message to user saying the same its not blank.

2. Col M should not be future date and always be current date if not throw a message to user saying the same

And workflow should not proceed until the conditions are satisfied

Thanks in advance!!

12 REPLIES 12
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

hemant86
11 - Bolide

My input data is something like this:

Should be blankShould be blankShould be blankShould not be future date 
Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6
Data1  10/31/2021  
   11/1/2021  

I do not need any out put here. Its just the tool should check for Column1 , Column2 & Column3  for blank and if not blank it should give the user a popup message saying particular column should be blank or a range of column should be blank,

Ex. IF  Column1 !="" OR Column2 !="" OR Column3 !="" Then "Column1 should be blank" (i guess we would need to use a variable to pick the column name here)

IF  Column4 > Today() Then "Column4 cannot be future date"

And there is no output file produced here. I just need to validate these columns and give a popup message to the user. The output file is produced only if validation is successful. So the workflow should not proceed until validation is successful.

Not sure if I'm asking a valid question. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

You can use message tool like below to validate, throw errors and stop processing.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1635421651524.png

Hope this helps : )

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @atcodedog05 . This does the job for me. But just had 1 query. Do I need to add multiple Message tools for multiple conditions. or can I use the same tool for different conditions

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

You can use single for multiple condition checks but you won't be able to give custom message for each.

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @hemant86 

If my response helps please don't forget to mark it as solution.

Cheers and have a nice day!

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi @atcodedog05 

Just a follow up question. I want to add below condition to my message tool.

IF [Payment re-processing]="Yes" AND IsNull([Alteryx Unique ID]) THEN "Need a valid Alteryx Unique ID" ELSE "" ENDIF . Any idea around that?

Payment re-processingAlteryx Unique ID
Yes 

Below is my tool setting but it gives Parse error. 

hemant86_0-1635495104220.png

Thanks in Advance.

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Never mind @atcodedog05 . I got it Below is the tool setting. Thanks again🙂

hemant86_0-1635495544477.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it 🙂.

Labels