Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Source provides State Name and I need to convert to Abbreviation

kristinat
5 - Atom

Greetings Alt Gods!

I have a data source that provides me with the State Name.  To be consistent, my other data sources that I'm joining use the State Abbreviation (rats!).  Is there something in Alteryx that will allow me to convert my State to an Abbreviation?  I'm in the middle of parsing out entire addresses on this data source as it was previously in comment text form.  In doing so, I came across this road block.  Once I parse out the State name, any suggestions on converting to Abbreviation?  Or even prior to parsing out in RegEx? 

Much appreciated.

@TheOC  hey pal, whatchu got on this??  🙂

Thank you!

Kristina

3 REPLIES 3
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @kristinat!
Hope you're well!

This sounds an interesting one indeed - I think whats tough about this one is the abbreviations aren't a consistent rule.

Are you able to share any of the workflow at all, with the list of states and abbreviations? I have a couple ideas but its slightly harder to test without the data. If not let me know and i'll give it a go!

Cheers!
Owen

Bulien
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kristinat ,

I've attached the workflow to extract the list of (I assumed) US States and their abbreviations.

I've also attached my HTML Table Parsing tool, which you will need to save to your macros folder.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @kristinat 
If i understand the task correctly, i think i have achieved a way of doing this, definitely not as elegant as @mceleavey's solution (ofcourse, he beats me to it! haha)

TheOC_1-1602792104103.png

Please find it attached

Bulien
Labels