Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Prep is Murder, literally in some cases - CHALLENGE

chris_love
12 - Quasar

I wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow the UK Midlands Alteryx User Group are hosting their first meeting......and there's going to be something going down in Leicester town - a murder! 

Now should you want to help us solve this ghastly crime then come back to this post tomorrow around 6.30pm BST (1.30pm EDT) and we'll be working on some data clues (which we'll also post here) and help the detectives in Leicester piece together the puzzle behind this terrible crime and catch the murderer before he slips away. Good job we've got just the tool!

road-man-lights-legs-large.jpg

32 REPLIES 32
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Here we go... being murdered wasn't fun (neither was the wifi).

The Case - Part 1 of "Who killed @ChrisLuv": Get some usable data.

Once Part 1 is solved by the community detectives I'll post Part 2.

chris_love
12 - Quasar

By the way HUGE thanks to @MikeMoss for putting this together, really good fun that I can't take any credit for.

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Fun!

Here's an alternative solution to part 1, for those with limited knowledge of certain methods...could have done it with one less tool if I were more familiar with said methods.

(I'm being vague to avoid spoilers.)

@thizviz
Nitish_Salve
7 - Meteor

@cbridges I tried to customize your workflow, just have a look.

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Very nice! I hadn't realized that I'd missed a few columns in my text to columns tool, which eliminated the need for the extra formulas.

Yours is very clean and simple - I love it!

@thizviz
chris_love
12 - Quasar

It seems we have some budding detectives. Well done guys! Your next step is to identify the messages the killer sent (and so their encrypted username), We know the killer recides in Leicester, UK so let's use a geolocation API based on IP address.

cbridges
11 - Bolide

I love what I'm learning along the way... I used the limited knowlege I had to come up with an alternative solution, and now I also know how to do it your way! :-)

@thizviz
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Nice challenge @chris_love.

Attached a quick go at pt 1 & 2

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So fun! I was pretty stoked I got the regex in step one in one tool ;) Love me some regular expressions!

Tara McCoy
Labels