Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data Investigation

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi everyone! 

I hope you are safe and well. 

I am trying to filter a column that contains string. This column contains phone number but some times I find string or the other phone numbers. Could you please help me how can I filter rows that contain string or other phone number. 

I have attached the file as sample. 

Thanks,

Simon 

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Did you want the phone numbers parsed out? If so - either of these solutions would work.

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell

Thanks for your solution but I want to filter the records that contains strings? 

Could you please help me with that? 

Thanks, 

Simon

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Sure - are you saying you want to isolate which records are not phone numbers and separate out the strings? So:

6 0401806040 or 0612065040 would become "Or"?

If you check out the datacleanse part of the workflow which I posted - and see where the tool has "cleanse letters" checked. Uncheck that - then see where it says numbers in the same section -  Check that. voila.

Also it might be easier if you referred to them as "characters" or "letters" they are all in the datatype "string" as presently set up.

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell

Thanks again. I want to filter all rows that contains string. 

For example I can not clean like this phone number 61865479976 - 891 is Paul/006 is Joe - Director. Due to the - , when I remove -  891 will be part of phone number, but it is not part of phone number. 

Could you please let me know how can I filters those rows. 

Thanks, 

Simon

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

O.k. - but the data you provided doesn't provide an ability to create that differentiation. Perhaps there was a different data file you meant to attach? It looks like everything in the excel you attached is either a phone number or text?

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Sorry, I checked your solution but I in some of my data I need change. Could you please help me with. 

Thank you for help. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you upload a different data file that is more reflective of your needs?

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell , 

Sorry for the delay. 

Please see the attached file. 

Labels