Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Input from a database inclusive special characters

martinah
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

With the Input Tool I get the data from the oracle database. This database is written in the code: 28605 (ISO 8859-15 Latin 9).

In my data, there are many text fields as V-String fields. Alteryx Designer overtake them correctly except the special characters from German Alphabet such as ä,ö,ü. These letters are translated as following:

ä->a

ü->u

ö->o

So for example Französich is changed to Franzosich.

If I look at Options of the Input Tool, there is not a possibility to set up a code page. I also tried the formula ConvertfromCodePage, ConvertToCodePage, but it also did not help.

It is also not possible to replace all letters a with ä as this not all a were before ä. 

Moreover I tested one text file where it is possible to set a code page. This has to be set on "Unicode UTF-8" in order to get ä,ü,etc. correctly, altought the database is written in ISO 8859-15.

I would be very thankful for help.

2 REPLIES 2
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I'm not sure of V_WString would help, because in the Input tool you would have to define this before the data comes in (and I don't have an Oracle client to test on :( )

suemc
6 - Meteoroid

If the database you are reading from is oracle I think if you select Force SQL WChar Support in the Input tool, it should solve the issue. It  worked for me

Labels