Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Grooming with Mistakes in Data

jrdnjhnsn2
7 - Meteor

Hey everyone,

I've got some policy info that has some errors in it, and I'm trying to correct those errors. In my attached dataset, I've got a column called "coverage_status" which can take on values of 1-3. The rule in our data is once a policy has a coverage status of 3, then it can go to a 2, but it cannot go back to a 1. So, if there are 1's after the first 3, then we treat those 1's as errors and we'd like to change them to a 3. This seems like a great candidate for the multi-row tool; however, we also want to treat the most recent record for each policy as the correct record. I know that logic is kind of flawed, but that's how we're doing it for now. So if the last coverage status is a 1, then any 3 that appears before would be considered an error, and we want to change that to a 1. 

Similarly, a 2 cannot go back to a 1. If the last record for a policy is a 2 but there are several 1's after a previous 2, then we'd want to change those 1's to a 2 like this:

coverage_statuseffective_datepolicy_numberDesired coverage_status
21/1/2002A2
14/1/2002A2
17/1/2002A2
210/1/2002A2

If the last record is a 2 and there were no previous 2's, then we just leave it as is.

For what it's worth, a 1 means "active," and a 2 means "terminated." A 3 is still active, but it's treated differently than a 1.

I've tried several different iterations of sorting the data on effective data and using the multi-row tool to catch these errors, but I pretty quickly ran into issues because I can't say "look n rows into the future to see how to treat this rows status."

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

2 REPLIES 2
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jrdnjhnsn2 ,

I think, the most important step is to convert "effective_date" to a "DATE" data type to enable sorting. As a next step (after sorting), you have to find the last status, and add it to the records. Then Multi-Row formula tool should do the job.

2020-10-14_08-36-08.png

I've attached a sample workflow. Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

jrdnjhnsn2
7 - Meteor

Thanks @RolandSchubert! This is working perfectly, and is much more succinct than what I was working on. 

Labels