Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Format issue in Alteryx

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi,

I have chosen the field type as date as shown as screenshot below and it show the null result.

May i know how can we fix this?

Jacob_94_0-1614780249498.png

19 REPLIES 19
Luke_C
17 - Castor

@SH_94 

What is the format of the data? Alteryx expects a YYYY-MM-DD format for dates. If it is something other than that you'll get the result you're seeing by just changing the data type to date. You'll need to use a datetimeparse formula or DateTime tool to update the data into the proper format. The below is a helpful article. 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/datetime-functions

SH_94
11 - Bolide

HI @ lukecornetta

The original format was DD/MM/YYY. Can you guide me how to change the format by use a datetimeparse formula or DateTime tool to update the data into the proper format. 

As i quite new to this Date Formating function.

Thank you for your help

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Sure see attached with an example of both methods.

The DateTime tool is straightforward but I recommend bookmarking the link I posted above. Knowing the date parsing syntax is very powerful both for converting data but also formatting data for output, since in many cases the Alteryx date format is not what end users will want to see in their reports. 

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SH_94 ,

You can either use the datetime tool to convert to the desired string or use a datetimeparse function and keep as date.

see attached workflow.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @ ImadZidan,

I try to use the format and it show as the error below. Can you please advise how can i solve it?

Jacob_94_0-1614782659646.png

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SH_94 ,

replace the [dat] with your data field. not sure what the name of your date field is.

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

@SH_94 ,

It should be in your case

DateTimeParse([TransDate],'%d/%m/%Y')

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi ,

I already changed it accordingly and the result still show null. 

Do you have any idea on this?

Jacob_94_0-1614783919559.png

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

@SH_94 ,

It looks to me that your column may not have the data in thefirst place.

Can you please click on the cleansing tool and check the TransDate column and ensure that it has data.

If so, please confirm that the date format is dd/mm/yyyy

Labels