Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Exploration and Broswe Tools

willcogs26
6 - Meteoroid

Hey All, 

In my use of Alteryx, I end up showing browses a lot in meetings, going over data, and walking through filtering steps with stakeholders.

I find its a great way to get my stakeholders invested in how much Alteryx can do and helps us speak the same language.

However, the biggest feedback and pain point I have is all of my numbers are unformatted, I.E. "Is that 3 Million or 30 Million?"

Is there a quick and easy way to format my browse so we can easily determine thousands places?

I'd like to avoid creating a new field as a string and writing Reg-Ex to add commas in all Thousand, Mil, and Bil cases, but if that's the only answer I can do that. 

I'm really just hoping there is a magic "Browse Setting" I'm blissfully unaware of!

Thanks!

- Will

3 REPLIES 3
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @willcogs26 !

I have found the best way to use a formula tool with the ToString function, here is an example:

TheOC_0-1602535749242.png

I have attached this workflow, Hope this helps!

Bulien
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @willcogs26 

You could use a table tool + a browse to do this. It will increase your processing time by a little bit but will also allow you to do things like control the number of decimal places shown and add prefixes such as dollar signs. 

Blake_0-1602535736114.png

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Unfortunately, there's no "easy" way to accomplish this. As you are aware, adding commas and things like dollar symbols turn the values into strings. An easier way to achieve this than using regex is to use the tostring formula. This allows you to set the number of decimal places and if there is a comma.

The first number is the number of decimal places, the second number is optional and a 1 will input the commas. You can deploy this in bulk with the multi-field formula. 

echuong1_0-1602535906100.png

Labels