Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Bundle on Network Drive - In Scheduled Workflow

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I have a data bundle installed on a network drive and have been using it successfully for quite some time.

However, when I attempted to use spatial data in a scheduled workflow I hit an error that the workflow was unable to open the map data.

Error - ToolId 60: Error in Q:\AlteryxSrcData\Alteryx_Current_Live\AlteryxMap\TomTom_US_2015_Q1\Tele_Atlas_US_V6.map: Unable to open "Q:\AlteryxSrcData\Alteryx_Current_Live\AlteryxMap\TomTom_US_2015_Q1\Tele_Atlas_US_V6.map"

I've noticed in general that referencing a network path in a workflow by using its relative location will not work for a scheduled workflow.

The obvious workaround is to simply convert all dependencies to absolute prior to saving and scheduling the workflow.

The problem with this schenario being that one cannot convert the file path for the data pacakge through Designer.

I can't imagine I'm the only one in this situation.

Does everyone else just modify the .ini file to use an absolute path instead of the relative path for their data package?

4 REPLIES 4
dataMack
12 - Quasar

Hi Patrick.  I'm guessing the issue may be one of windows drive mappings.  Instead of using the mapped network drive (which may differ from your machine to the one running the workflow), I would try just entering the path directly.

For example, your path would be '\\MyServerName\AlteryxSrcData\Alteryx_Current_Live\AlteryxMap\TomTom_US_2015_Q1\Tele_Atlas_US_V6.map: Unable to open "Q:\AlteryxSrcData\Alteryx_Current_Live\AlteryxMap\TomTom_US_2015_Q1\Tele_Atlas_US_V6.map'  where MyServer name is the name of the fileserver where that AlteryxSrcData folder lives.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Thanks Jason.
That's what I had planned to do. I'm wondering if anyone has a different way.
I should elaborate further:

I'm needing to deploy the data bundle to a network drive for a large number of users to access.
To avoid having to re-write all of the .ini files for those users is there a more simplistic approach?
dataMack
12 - Quasar

If your organization uses Active Directory, you may consider working with your IT dept to set up an AD group with both login drivemapping script and permissions to the shared folder.  That way any Alteryx users that need to access that dataset, would simply follow the existing IT process to get added to that AD group.  This would give you both consistent network drive mappings and control over access to the dataset.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Awesome! Thank you!
Labels