Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Daily Increase

jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

This is probably a newbie question but I can't seem to figure out how to use the multi field or row tool for this. In my dataset I have multiple countries (approx. 30 of them), the date and the position in a chart. I would like to calculate the difference compared to the prior day in the dataset - grouped by country. I've attached an example of what I'm looking for - the yellow column shows the in- / decrease compared to the prior date, grouped per country.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jesuisbo 

Hi! Multi-Row Formula tool should do it. Be sure to Group by Countryimage.png

jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47, This totally helped, thank you! The only issue I still need to solve however is that when an item enters the chart for the first time is shows a negative number with the position it entered on (instead of a null). Highlighted in image below.

Screenshot 2019-02-13 14.54.17.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Are you using the grouping in the multi row formula tool?
jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 - I am, yes. Please see screenshot below; 

Screenshot 2019-02-13 15.39.11.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
@jesuisbo, I’m wondering if it’s because you have two groups selected in the multi row formula tool. A little challenging to troubleshoot as I’m not on my computer at the moment.
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
There could also be something going on in whatever tool you’re using to summarize all of the countries together. Honestly just guessing at what could be off without a clear view of your workflow.

Cheers!
Esther
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I followed a very similar approach to @estherb47, but just put in one additional check in the multi-row formula to deal with the 1st row for each country.

multirow.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Also, set the values for rows that don’t exist to NULL rather than zero. Noticed that difference in our configurations too.
jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

This worked perfectly - thanks @DavidP & @estherb47, much appreciated! 

Labels