Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

DATETIMEADD function Unexpected result

Mario_Borrelli
5 - Atom

Wondering if the DateTimeAdd function has a bug.  Consider the following:

DATE_X = '2017-12-08' converted to date using DateTimeParse([DATE_X],"%y-%m-%d")
DATE_Y = '2017-12-15' converted to date using DateTimeParse([DATE_Y],"%y-%m-%d")

My test is whether DATE_Y less than 7 days from DATE_X.  Logically, the answer should be 'No' since DATE_Y is exactly seven days after DATE_X.

If however I use a formula below, the answer is Yes:

IF [DATE_Y]< DateTimeAdd([DATE_X], 7,'days') THEN 'Yes'
ELSE 'No'
ENDIF

If I create a variable and set the formula to that variable, I get the expected 'No':
[DATE_Z] = DateTimeAdd([DATE_X], 7,'days')

IF [DATE_Y]< [DATE_Z] THEN 'Yes'
ELSE 'No'
ENDIF

4 REPLIES 4
vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

Hi @Mario_Borrelli,

I would suggest you to simply use this "DateTimeDiff()" function as below: 

if DateTimeDiff([Date_Y],[Date_X],"days")<7 then "No" else "Yes" endif

Best,

Vishwa

Mario_Borrelli
5 - Atom

Thanks Vishwa

I already had a workaround.  Was more interested in why this was happening.

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@Mario_Borrelli,

I think this has to be a type issue. When I did the same calculation with the two dates I got yes for both variable and normal. When I changed them to datetimes I got 'No' for both variable and normal. Apparently '2017-12-15 00:00:00' is greater than '2017-12-15'. See output below.

With Dates:

datetime pic.PNG

With DateTimes:

datetime pic 2.PNG

I don't see how you would ever get 2 different answers I would double check you  didn't somehow convert your Date Y to Date time in your variable expression test.

Best,

MSalvage

Mario_Borrelli
5 - Atom

I think that hits close to the answer. 

I am using Alteryx 10.5 and there are no DATEADD functions, only DATETIMEADD which returns a DATETIME type. 

Since my variables are both DATE type and since it appears that 2017-12-15 does not equal 2017-12-15 00:00:00, we are not really comparing like for like, even though logically they are the same.

Thanks.

Labels