Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cutting portion of polygon where polyline is located

charmpadilla
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I've been trying to cut my polygons where my polyline is located. Sharing an illustration of what I'm trying to create. 

charmpadilla_0-1602126469745.png

*red= polyline *black=cut

Desired Output:

charmpadilla_0-1602135971274.png

I've tried buffering the line and cutting the intersect but the output needed is a straight cut from the polygon. Sharing the workflow that I've done so far

3 REPLIES 3
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi @charmpadilla 

Packaged workflow is attached.

Cutting portion of polygon where polyline is located.png

This is definitely a problem equal parts frustrating and fun! Thank you for the challenge. While this is possible, the end solution has a few caveats where a judgment call will have to be made depending on the degree of accuracy that the end product should contain. 

My approach was to first rotate the line 90 degrees (trigonometry has never been my friend, so creating a circle with a radius the length of the existing line, then identifying points that draw a perpendicular line around the line-end of interest), then create a triangle "cookie cutter" constructed of the existing line + the rotated line, finally I used the Spatial Process Tool to subtract the two polygons from one another to arrive at the answer that looks to be what you're after. 

The accuracy kicks in when looking into how map co-ordinates are rotated (degrees vs. radians vs. projected map systems), and how it would be a lot simpler to buffer out the transposed line and use that to cut the shape - but this would result in a less accurate (+/- the buffer width) output. 

Hope this helps!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @charmpadilla 

Your workflow is good enough to solve the problem, just you need to increase the buffer size and then use Spatial process.

I have attached one screenshot for the desired output.

Sapna Gupta
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @charmpadilla 

Additional make sure generalize buffer is deselected 

atcodedog05_1-1602138789969.png

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels