Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Customized filtering in Alteryx chained apps

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Hi all! I have a dataset with around 10 columns. For instance, let us consider the following table: 

Paulomi_0-1627671705821.png

The requirements are: 

1. The user is given a list of the 10 columns to choose from to use for filtering the data. The user selects fields - A, B and D.

2. Alteryx displays the values contained in the first field - A. For eg, if the user selected A as a filtering field, the values displayed would be - House, hotel. 

3. The user selects House, then the corresponding values for B come up - Bus or Boat. 

4. The user selects Boat, then the corresponding value for D comes up as Rugby. 

Is there a way to achieve this in Alteryx? I'm assuming chained app is the way to go, but need some help formulating the logic! 

Thanks in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-175-Tire-Size-Calculator/td-p/447639

This weekly challenge succinctly describes how to implement chained apps for your purpose. It outlines how to chain and how to create reusable dbs which serve as the output for the first app and the basis for the second... It's all about listbox (or dropdown) an dropdown.

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell Thanks! That works for most parts of it. However, is there a way to give the choice to the user about which fields to filter on? The fields to filter are not constant. The user can select from a list of 10 fields to place the filter on in the chained apps (much like the example I shared in the initial query). Is there a way to do this?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

The process isn't that different... Your first app includes a dropdown/listbox of potential fields from a connected tool. It then creates the successive dropdowns/listbox based upon that selection.

you do need a static field ordering structure though (like A then B then D) or (B then D then F) ie - there should be some rubric about the order the filters are applied.

Labels