Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Custom append mapping unavailable in output tool

jdemeaux
8 - Asteroid

Hello community,

I am fairly new to Alteryx and I was looking for resource to understand why the output tool wouldn't let me choose the custom Append Mapping when writing in an PostgreSQL through ODBC.

Any help is appreciated here as I struggle to figure it out!
Thank you!

output-custom_append.png

5 REPLIES 5
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @jdemeaux,

The solution to your problem is fairly simple.

Before appending the data to an existing table, you 've to specify the schema name with the table name in the correct syntax with the correct spelling (area marked by the red rectangle).

Image.png

Also, the table you're appending to must contain the same column names with that of the data you're pushing through Alteryx. Only then the manual mapping option will become available to you.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
jdemeaux
8 - Asteroid

Hi @grazitti_sapna
Thanks for your help.

The table name was correct, I just hid it in my screenshot.

The columns names are not the same on both side of the output tool, so I understand this is the cause of the issue.
It somehow doesn't make sense because I'd use the manual mapping option specifically when the name are different (if they are identical the 'Map by name' option is sufficient). Or am I missing the point?

Thanks again!

NicolasFabre81
8 - Asteroid

Custom manual mapping with the select tool is a good workaround indeed.

But the question remains.

Maybe an issue with ODBC and/or PostgreSQL ?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @jdemeaux,

I tried pushing data into an empty table in Vertica DB and saw that the custom mapping function is available irrespective of the destination field names.

Image.JPG

I would suggest you try installing the ODBC driver again or try pushing the data into another table. This error can also occur due to an older version of Alteryx. You can also try installing the newer version.

thanks.

Sapna Gupta
sultania_p
5 - Atom

In order to do the custom mapping enabled, please make sure the table you want to map with (I mean output table) should be created in the database first and once done then you will be able to see the table structure to map it manually! Hope it helps.

Labels