Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Custom Binning in Alteryx

AQILKURJI
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all, 

I am trying to figure out how to bin values in alteryx using custom range. I have an "age" field and some how i want to group them in bins of:

- 0 to 17 

- 18 to 29 

- 30 to 69

- 70 to 79

- 80 + 

Is there any way i can bin these and give this a new field name i.e " Age Group".

I have tried using the multiple binning tool but it dose't allow me to specify values. 

Thanks, 

Aqil 

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @AQILKURJI,

A formula tool can do this: new field "AgeGroup" with:

IF [Age] <= 17 THEN
  "Group1"
ELSEIF [AGE] <= 29 THEN
  "Group2"
ELSEIF [AGE] <= 69 THEN
  "Group3"
ELSEIF [AGE] <= 79 THEN
  "Group4"
ELSE
  "Group5"
ENDIF

... where the values are whatever you want, whatever field type you want.

Hope that helps!

John

AQILKURJI
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks John !

lcm3k
5 - Atom

Hi there, 

I tried something similar but receive an error (Invalid type in operator) when I complete the IF statement. Do you know why that would be the case and how I can fix?

IF [Spend] >= 75000 THEN 'Large Spend'
ELSEIF [Spend] < 75000 AND [Spend] >= 10000 THEN 'Medium Spend'
ELSE 'Small Spend'
ENDIF

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @lcm3k,

I'd have to see the workflow, but some ideas:

1. If you're trying to replace the numeric [Spend] field with character datat ("Large Spend"), Alteryx won't like that. Instead, create a new character field ("SpendSize" or some such) and use the same formula you've shown.

2. If [Spend] isn't specified as numeric (even though it looks numeric), you could get that error.  Use the Select tool to force it to a numeric type; if it fails that due to some non-numeric rows, find those rows and eliminate them; (see the IsNumber function for help with that: us it in a filter to separate the non-numeric rows for analysis).

Hope that helps!

John

Labels