Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

CrossTab does not support renaming of duplicate fields.

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

Getting this error and I'm not exactly sure what it means.  I am trying to pull my data together so I am using  a Basic Data Profile tool and then going straight into a Cross Tab tool.  What I was expecting to happen is that each row would be one column worth of data.  It appears to be when I am trying to group my Cross Tab.  

7 REPLIES 7
harend
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

The error you are seeing is due to you having multiple Name values that are the same ie FieldName, FieldType etc. I'm not sure what you mean by using a cross tab to get "that each row would be one column worth of data" because you will have too many dimensions in your data. A solution I could see working would be to filter based on the FieldName column and then cross tab those. That would allow you to pivot your data and then union it all back together and that would give you some better analytics on your data. If this isn't what you were shooting for let me know and we can find what solution you are looking for.

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

I was under the impression that the Group Data by these Values would allow me to have each row be a field name so I wanted it to be similar to this: 

FieldNameFieldNameFieldTypeFieldSizeFieldSourceCount Null
Street_NameStreet_NameV_String30TextInput:36
Count1_TrafficCount1_TrafficInt324TextInput:0
Count1_TypeCount1_TypeV_String24TextInput:0
harend
8 - Asteroid

So I came up with this solution and now the error makes sense. Add a select tool between the basic data profile, and the cross-tab tool. Change the FieldName column to anything else (I actually used that but you'll probably have a better name) and then run your workflow. Everything should come up peachy! I've attached the workflow that I used to get the solution.

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

Oh, that makes sense because it doesn't want two identical field names.  Now that I see it written out that makes sense. 

Thanks for the help, I've had this error once before, but never found a solution really.  I really appreciate it. 

zurbo
5 - Atom

Prior version of Alteryx did not cause this error. This is particularly problematic when trying to crosstab JSON_Name data into headers. With an unknown # of headers and names these often conflict with existing fields. Many flows have broken with the upgrade.

scott54
5 - Atom

Did you manage to find a solution to this? I'm getting this error Crosstabbing JSON_Names as you are too. 

zurbo
5 - Atom

It was a Null field giving me trouble, and since I didn't really need that field I just left it unchecked in the "Group Data by these Values" configuration section of the Cross Tabs that were giving me trouble.

Labels