Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross tab with new column headers displayed as date

mb1824
9 - Comet

Hi,

See attached workflow. I want the new column headers to have Date format "%d/%m/%y" so that when I open the output in Excel, it will automatically recognise them as dates.

I tried to create [Period2] being a string field with the required format, and use that to create the new headers, but Alteryx still converts the "/" to "-".

I don't want to manually rename fields as this is part of a rolling forecast so the headers will change each month going forward

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

There is a known issue with the cross-tab tool which converts special characters to underscores.

There is an easy workaround, especially in your instance where you know all underscores should be slashes.

You can use the dynamic rename and do...

repalce([name],"_","/")

Ben

mb1824
9 - Comet

Thanks @BenMoss

vaughangary
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, however that does not work for dynamic situations.  Are there plans to fix the Cross Tab feature?

Gary

7 - Meteor

Hi !  Unless I am not using the dynamic rename correctly, I would tend to agree that this is not dynamic as you have to select the fields you want the rename to apply to.  Unless there is a way to systematically and automatically have the tool select all fields as a default, I'm not sure this would work in most cases.  And that's assuming one wants to replace the "_" in ALL fields, which not exactly what the original user asked (although, it would work in my use case).  Any clarifications or alternative suggestions ?

Labels