Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross tab tool with multiple instances of same line

ChrisMB
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I'm struggling with the following problem.

Input data looks as follows:

1.PNG

Desired output should be:

2.PNG

I'm trying with a Cross Tab tool and that is working fine. But the problem is that the Value 'Description' can occur multiple times per inspection. I want them so show on a separate line, but the Cross Tab tool by default concatenates them:

3.PNG

Any way to make sure that the description shows as separate lines?

4 REPLIES 4
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @ChrisMB

Try adding a Text To Columns tool after your Cross Tab but selecting the Split to Rows option.

ChrisMB
7 - Meteor

Hi @Kenda!

Thanks for this suggestion. However, the duplicate lines are in two columns in my example (see below, column Description and Result). If I use Text to Column on my Description column, the Results column still contains the concatenated results.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Hey @ChrisMB, give this a go:

image.png

In the Filter tool, include all fields that could have duplicates.  The RecordID is to help maintain sort order for the Multi-Row Formula tool (which re-assigns the RecordID based on duplicate description/result fields).  At this point, the Crosstab can group on both the Inspection_grouping and the new RecordID.  Join them back together to duplicate your records from the false stream of your Filter, and you should be good to go!

Hope it helps!

ChrisMB
7 - Meteor

Thanks, that works!

Labels