Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross tab throw red in the result

RZhong
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, recently I create a workflow which I am using cross tab in it. The schedule will show red in the result everytime it runs automatically. But acctually, when I check the output, there's no error at all. This bothers me a lot. Is there a way to stop the red result causing by cross tab? 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RZhong

I have a few assumptions below for why this error maybe appearing based on the information you have provided:

Are the field headers you are using in your crosstab tool changing before the tool?

E.G you reference 'Field 1' as your field headers and then on the next run 'Field 1' dissapears or changes. This means the crosstab tool is looking for a field which does not exist and therefore will error.

If this is the case you will need to find a way to make the names dynamic and not 'hard-coded'. 

If you are concerned about the workflow erroring and still outputting data, you can use the 'block until done' tool before your output tool as well as in the workflow properties:

Pic1.jpg

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

RZhong
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @JordanB, 

I am not changing the name of the New Column Headers before the cross tab tool. But I am using a formular tool to create the header for cross tab to use.(it is using two fields combined to decide the headers) In this case, do you mean that the formular tool might create the problem that cross tab tool cannot find the headers? If that's the case, is there any suggestions to solve this problem? Or I can only use the block until done tool?

Thank you so much.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RZhong

The formula tool is more than likely creating the issue, however it depends how you have the crosstab tool configured. 

Can you send me a screenshot of the crosstab configuration window?

If the field header field does not chnage name, then I presume you are grouping on fields which are removed as you change tools downstream of the crosstab tool? Is this possible?

I have attached a workflow (10.6) showing how to make the field header field dynamic.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

RZhong
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @JordanB

Thank you so much for your workflow! I played with it for a while and tried to do the same thing as what I did in my workflow. And do find the configure several tools from begining and now it WORKED!! I tried to keep the grouped field before and after the cross tab, and redo the union tool I am using after the cross tab. After reconfigure all the tools, I ran the workflow the first time to let cross tab find all the fields. Then, run the second time, and it is working.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I do appreciate!

Thank you,

Renee

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RZhong Great to see you managed to troubleshoot and figure it out. Keep up the good work!

Labels