Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cross Tab with Total Row and Render with Group on Path

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

I'm running into a problem with rendering a cross tab. My container for this piece of the workflow looks like this:

YeahMan_1-1613146812536.png

I am filtering by the ALS dvision and want to render the results to their network drive. There are 6 other divisions I will need to do this for.

The output from cross tab/rate calculations looks like this when I select both the Sum & Total Row options in the Cross Tab tool :

YeahMan_0-1613148673091.png

And the output from the Basic Table looks like this, grouping on Dept & OutputFile:

YeahMan_3-1613146968183.png

What I am trying to do is render the data to Excel, using the 'Group Data into Separate Reports' on the OutputFile. I can get it to work IFF I remove the Total Row option from the cross tab. If I leave it in I get the dreaded

"Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended.". As I would REALLY LIKE to have the Total in the output, can anyone see a work-around? 

I've attached the Excel with the 2 tables above.

Thanks,

--sue

6 REPLIES 6
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @YeahMan 

Can you provide the workflow you set up, or the portion you need help with?

I ran it over here and had no issues, but I want to make sure I'm doing exactly what you are doing or at least what you are trying to accomplish. I attached the WF below.

Are you trying to output to the same file or different files?

pedrodrfaria_0-1613153963819.png

Pedro.

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your help @pedrodrfaria. Please find attached a source data file (it would be the output of the filter just before the container) and a snippet of the workflow. All the paths are to C:\temp.

--sue

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

HI @YeahMan 

Your issue is actually that you are tryin to replace the whole file path with the column OutputFile, but not all rows are configurated to be a file path

pedrodrfaria_0-1613157252223.png

pedrodrfaria_1-1613157261040.png

Change it to replace only the file name or fix the OutputFile column on row 3 to have a correct file path for the total row.

Pedro.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@YeahMan 

Please find attached a workflow that would give you the solution. The issue was with the 'Output File' (Path) for the Total report.

Do let me know if this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @pedrodrfaria 

I've run into a problem with this solution. The path that the output is being written to has changed

to:     C:\Temp\C__Temp_ALS_Retention 2020F-2021W_ALS.xlsx.xlsx

And the Total Row is being written as a separate workbook, and that is being written to:

C:\Temp\Total.xlsx

So I don't think I will be able to have a Total Row on each sheet in the workbook as I would have liked.

Thank you very much for your assistance and have a nice weekend.

--sue

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @YeahMan 

This particular error is generally indicative of something else having failed - and often the Alteryx Engine has crashed.

For example - @mbarone wrote up a bunch of things that he was seeing cause this crash here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/InboundNamedPipe-ReadFile-The-pipe-has...

Two thoughts:

a) This particular case - if you can mock it up with some dummy data and demonstrate the issue - would be great for the support team 'cause then they can debug the cause of the core engine crash.   If you can mockup a dummy data version of this that has the same crash - well worth submitting this to support@alteryx.com

b) If you don't manage to get this right using the configuration you have - you can always put a text box below the main table with "Total : XXX".   It's a bit of a workaround, but you can format it to look pretty good.

Labels