Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross Tab giving unwanted fields

adij0628
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to prepare a JSON data using the following workflow

AWF.JPG

But cross tab is giving me some unwanted fields like shown below

AWF.JPG

Can you please help me understand why these files are being created?

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
You might want to filter them out from your parsed data.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
hda_wesleyjwk
7 - Meteor

Hi Adij,

These columns are being generated because they're part of the JSON output you're download.

I don't know exactly what you're downloading, but it looks like some system details are being given in your output.

Like Marquee says you could filter them out before cross-tabbing your data by filtering out anything that contains resourceRequests_

adij0628
5 - Atom

Okay. How would I do that? What expression should I use? I am very new to Alteryx.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @adij0628,

To filter out the additional columns you can use a select tool to do it manually, a dynamic select tool to write a formula and do it dynamically or a macro to remove Null columns. (I'm assuming that the extra columns are Empty).

A lot of Alteryx Users have created their own macros to remove Null columns. I've attached Mine. It looks at the first 100 rows and if all are Null, then looks at the rest of the data for that column to determine if it's Null() all the way down...

Note: As the Cross-tab tool converts Null() to Empty, you'll need to use a Multi-field formula tool before the Remove Nulls Macro. The Multi-field formula tool will have the following formula: IIF(IsEmpty([_CurrentField_]),Null(),[_CurrentField_]).

Kane

rqarnold
5 - Atom

I'm having this same issue that is causing an issue with bulk loading process.  Null dates are being converted to empty dates after passing through a crosstab.  Empty dates cause an error when being bulk loaded into Date columns. I need to check all columns for any non-UTC-8 characters so I Transpose -> Regex  --> Crosstab to put the record back together. Any columns with null values get transformed to empty by the Crosstab. Since this is in a macro the date columns could anywhere.  Seeking a solution.

Labels