Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Crew Runner on Scheduler (AlteryxRunner.exe error -1073741515)

Plunketj
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Team, 

I've been bashing my head against this problem all day. Having read through the forums I can see I'm not the first one but I've yet to find a resolution. 

Error Message: 

"\\*********\Alteryx Workflows\CREW Macros\Macros\SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741515

Situation: We have an Alteryx Designer license with the Desktop Automation (Scheduler). We use CREW Macros, specifically the 'Runner' macro on all schedules that are put on the scheduler. The Runner macro is embedded into its own macro. This allows us to generate Event emails without using the event section due to a security requirement to avoid hard-coding usernames and passwords in our workflows. Everything was working perfectly... right up until I had to migrate the entire setup to a new machine due to an IT roll-out. 

Alteryx Version: 2021.2.1.35394

Issue: Everything has been reinstalled and I can successfully run my workflows using the Designer through normal process. As soon as the same workflow goes on the Scheduler we get immediate errors. All Workflow Dependencies are set to UNC. 

Troubleshooting:

• reinstalled Alteryx
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Alteryx
  • Reinstalled CREW Macros
  • Moved the CREW Macros to a different folder
  • Verified that the CReW.ini file points to a UNC path
  • Attempted to edit the Runner macro to hard-code the pointing to the AlteryxRunner.exe
  • Attempted to run AlteryxRunner.exe separately to capture additional error info, there was none. 
  • Had a Rubber Ducky sit here and double check everything. 
  • Re-built the workflow by re-adding the CREW macros
  • Copied the Runner workflow into the original workflow to test if not embedding it would work. 
  • Confirmed previous machine and new machine are both 64bit. 
  • PARTIAL SUCCESS - I had a little bit of success by creating a new workflow with the Runner macro in it and putting that on the scheduler. The concept of doing for everything will be very painful. 

Is there anyone who can offer guidance? 😞
2 REPLIES 2
john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I am assuming you checked this given the list you presented, but did you make sure to add the Crew macros as a valid macro path after your install of Alteryx and Crew on the new machine?  We have ours on a shared drive so both my local and our server are running by pointing the below option to the same UNC path.  I know when scheduling things on server, as part of the workflow assets, sometimes it wants to store copies of things.

Options --> User Settings -->  Edit User Settings --> Macros.     

Plunketj
6 - Meteoroid

I did yes. I tried installing the macros on both a network share drive (using UNC path) and also moving them onto my machine and running them from there. Same issue both time. We have found the scheduler will not work with anything that's not a UNC path. We can't even run a workflow from it's original location as it will freeze the queue. 

I did determine that it's able to see the macros fine. All of our other macros are working perfectly. It's just the Runner. Something is happening with the executable and I cant determine what it is. 

Labels