Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Crew Runner Failing In Scheduler - error code 1073741515

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Hi Community,

I am experiencing a failure of the crew macros conditional runner, when running in a scheduled process using desktop scheduler as part of designer.

Error: Tool #98: Record #1: Tool #64: Tool #23: Record #1: Tool #2: Tool #2: The external program "C:\Users\WarrenCowan\Documents\Alteryx\Macros\Crew\Macros\Macros\SupportingExes\AlteryxRunner.exe" returned an error code: -1073741515

I have tested the conditional runner in a seperate simple test workflow to see if it has problems running generally in scheduler and it works fine. So I had considered the scheduler was not to blame, however the process runs fine on desktop, which brings me back to the scheduling possibility.

The runner tools are part of a batch macro which brings in a the settings to run a series of other other batch macros orchestrated into linera dependancy by a series of block unitl done tool. This process runs fine on desktop and was converted from an analytics that also ran fine on desktop.

Dubya_0-1604412144497.png

This process is then embedded in a workflow (which also runs the process fine on desktop) and it is this process that runs in the scheduler, and that is erroring and producing the error.

Some things I've looked at/tried since first getting the error, that have so far failed to resolve it.

• Upgraded Alteryx to latest version
  • Unistalled and reinstalled the crew macros
  • Deleted and re-added the conditional runner tools (pre and post re-install)
  • Checked permission/sharing on folder paths (cant see any visible differences)
  • Checked macros are installed in location on local machine (and they are)
  • Checked schduler can run as my user (yes)

Any other thoughts anyone? Does the enrvionment variable need to be altered perhaps so that cmd line or non desktop engine.exe processes can leverage it?

Very best

w

4 REPLIES 4
PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @warrencowan ,

check out this post and its suggestions:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/CReW-Macros-The-external-program-quot-...

Please let me know whether this helps you.

Best regards

Phil

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Thanks @PhilippK . I had trawled this post for answers and guidance, and come up blank, having tried most of the suggestions, but will continue to review. Very much appreciate you taking the time to resond and contribute though.

warrencowan
9 - Comet

....INTERIM UPDATE....

Not neccessarily supported
So the challenge continues, however Alteryx Support did kindly respond outside this thread (thnx @Loredana .. 2020.3 btw) saying they were lookign at it, and to point me towards a page on the crew macros that suggests the designer +scheduler combo does not completely support the crew macros. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CReW-Macro-Support/ta-p/465740.

This isn't the full story though because I have gotten them to work in some configs, just perhaps not all.

Dependancy on Relative / Absolute / UNC references?

Tracing the errors back through the tools, and noticing that the macros work in the scheduler in a simple workflow, I started to compare the working and non working instances, and it seems like the more complex scenarios introduce the issue.

In my issue (where the runner is placed within wider batch macro setup as described above, which then may be further embedded in an app/macro and then further embedded in a workflow), I noticed the in the workflow depdendencies that the operations in the runners had moved to relative references. I tried experimenting with a version of the batch macro forcing UNC and then Absolute paths on for the offending operations, and noticed that some of the runners ran.

Sadly, Im afraid I ran out of time and had to get on the with day job in the end, so didnt get to a point where I could say it was confidently solved, but it felt like a direction.

Batch macro substitute! / Batch Macro Wrapper?

In the end I just chose to emebed my the workflows I wanted to run in the crew macro, in a batch macro running of a dummy param, and hooked that in instead. Although I did wonder if I could wrap a simple workflow using a conditional runner in a bacth macro, and then use the control params and actions to control the location of the running workflow.

I'll update if I get any further. Thanx all, W

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

thank you for the detailed update!

Labels