Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating new columns and then sheet tabs based on the date of a file

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, I have a report similar to the below sample data, where the client pastes a column of data every week in a master file that basically keeps a running sum total for FY21. So a tab for every week of December, a tab for every week of January, etc and then a summary of the year. The file name for the data source is something like "Claims_210108" to indicate the report for January 8, 2021. I know that I can output the file name as a field, parse it to isolate the "210108" and output it as an Excel file name and specific range.

I'm just unsure how to configure the output tool to 1. recognize that a new week has started and paste the data in next week's column and 2. recognize that a new month has started and paste the data to the next month's tab. My main concern is that I'll accidentally override the week's columns and mess up the totals. Any guidance is much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Alayna 

Are you able to upload a copy of your workflow to this post?

This will help the Community to see what kind of changes need to be made in order to get the output you are looking for!
Please include some sample data as well for the community. (make sure the data has no sensitive information in it!)

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi Trevor, I included some sample data earlier and tried to mock up a workflow from it. my main issue is splitting a file name to get the date, and rearranging the output tool to be able to create new tabs based on the month, and new columns based on the day. Thank you for any help

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Alayna 
Prepared something for you to comment.

0120-Alayna.PNG

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu Thank you so much for the workflow! Didn't realize I could use the new file path output like that. This will be very helpful for the future

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Alayna 

Glad to help and thank you for the accept mark.

Labels