Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating dummyID with growing aritmetical progression

Paolo1993
7 - Meteor

Hi all guys, hope it's a good starting day for everyone. 

Quick one for you about Alteryx.

I would like to create two columns which have dummy_ID info coming from the previous one as I need to make unreadable some sensible data. 

I managed to do that, but I can't add the growing progression. 

(Find below what I meant). 

Let's say I have 3 rows and 2 columns:

PositionJobDummy_PositionDummy_Job
ManagerialManagerPosition1Job1
SupportClerkPosition 2Job2
SupportPAPosition 3Job 3

I would like to create the Dummy_Position and Job columns with growing progression per each position and job

(Position1, Position2, Position3 etc and same for Dummy_Job).

Can you please help me?

MANY THANKS!

P

4 REPLIES 4
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

You can create a record I’d, then use the formula tool to write a string field that combines it to create a new string value ([field]+[record ID]).

alternatively, you could use the multi row formula tool but the formula would be more complex. 

Sorry for the brief response as I’m on my phone!  Good luck. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Paolo1993,

I agree with @neilgallen.  You do however need to convert the RecordID to a string.  If you first define it as a string, you'll get 000001.  That's not what you're after however.

Position + ToString([RecordID])

Then you can eliminate the RecordID field.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think Mark has answered your question but an additional response from myself would be do you want to create a consistent position and job 'dummy ID', in that you have support twice, instead of incriminating the position_DummyID field in that instance should it be the same (I appreciate in your example data it isn't like this but perhaps it was a mistake)? I may be wrong but just want to clarify!

To me it sounds like you are trying to sensitize your data without loosing it's 'integrity'. 

If you are looking for what I have suggested a solution is attached.

Ben

Paolo1993
7 - Meteor

Thank you all guys! This definitely solved my problems, you're always the best!

Have a wonderful day! :)

Labels