Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating an UI for multiple formats (long vs wide) of input data

arx
6 - Meteoroid

I am stuck with an option to create upload either a long for wide format of the initial dataset.  My requirement is

1) The user selects either one of the two data formats (long or wide). If it is a long format, merge with another another key/value pair dataset to create a new column.  But, if the user selects wide format data, I don't need to merge as the column is already there.  Instead, the wide format will be converted to long format.

For the above requirement, we created a radio button to either enable/disable tool containers for both the data sources (long and wide).  The output I expect should be a single processed long dataset when I upload either of the two data formats.  However, I am getting an error message

ErrorMessage

and my alteryx workflow is

AlteryxFlow.PNG

I would appreciate any help.

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi,

All interface tools need to be outside of the tool container, when the container is disabled.

A good practice is to always have your interface tools outside the container, regardless of whether or not you'll be disabling it.  Doesn't take up too much screen real estate, and prevents that error.  The "guts" of the container will not run if it's disabled by the app, even if the interface tools are on the outside, so you don't have to worry about that.

Take all the interface tools out of your containers, and you should be all set.

arx
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, you are right.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Very welcome!

Labels